And the email came… your booking has been cancelled!
It was only a trip to cottage country, but it was the only trip away this summer and it was a celebration of my 50th. It wasn’t as disappointing as our trips to the UK being cancelled earlier this year, however I thought we’d be ok by staying in Canada and waiting until September.
Has it happened to you this year too?
Did you go through…
2. logical reasoning
5. resigned to what is going on in the bigger picture – followed by eating chocolate and cake and then taking to the sofa feeling miserable and demoralized?
Yup, me too.
While you can’t stay in that mood for ever, there may be a little part inside of you that felt especially sad and almost grieving for a glimmer of hope at the end of this summer. Soon the next challenge of the kids going back to school is going to be upon us and who knows what that’ll bring with it?
But then what?
1. I chose to remember that I could choose how I felt about it. That was the first shift in thinking.
2. Then I listened to a podcast which helped me to see the bigger perspective of all the change that is going on around us – it was called ‘Weirdly Magical with Jen and Lou’ if you’re interested. It gave me a very different perspective.
3. Then I remembered what I’d learned in ‘The 100 Year Life’ book about being able to transition and deal with change being the most valuable skill we can have today and in the future.
4. Then I walked 10k in the sunshine and decided that moving on was the best decision…
Out of all of those, I can’t tell you which one worked the best, but I can tell you that the disappointment of the cancelled birthday cabin trip feels a lot better than it did 24 hours ago!!
If you need help with dealing with this ever changing New Normal, please come over to my Facebook page and see my videos and posts to help you through your day to day changes and challenges!